Monday, January 25, 2010

Boston Prep 16 Miler in Derry, NH...

They weren't kidding when they said this course was HILLY!!! I went into the run treating it as my weekly long run so I was targeting a pace around 9:25 rather than treating it like a race. I ended up averaging 9:21 for the 16 mile distance which I was very happy with. These 50-60 mile weeks are really paying off as I really did not struggle at any point at all during the run and felt great today. It is very difficult to enter an event like this and hold back to a target pace when you know you can run much faster but the risk of injury is just too great. As Bill Rodger's said of Boston at our event last week, "it isn't getting to the finish line that's hard, it's getting to the starting line..." I have found that to be one of the most difficult aspects of training for Boston. With the April race date, peak marathon training is late Jan through February and staying injury free and healthy is a monumental feat alone. Next race is a 10 miler in Cape Elizabeth that I am planning to race to get a sense of my current training level. Then on 2/13, I get my first glimpse of the Boston Marathon course on a 17 mile run that starts at mile 9 and ends at finish line. Lots of miles left to go but it will be here before I know it and I can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment