Friday, January 22, 2010

Night With a Legend...

I am so glad that I took this opportunity to meet a true legend and real class act, Bill Rodgers. I headed into Boston yesterday afternoon to meet a small group (~30) of runners from various charities running in the 2010 Boston Marathon for night with Bill. I arrived early to make sure that I did not miss the run scheduled to start at 6:30. While walking around Quincy Market in the outside courtyard I stumbled across some bronze monuments of Larry Bird, Red Auerbach, and of course, "Boston Billy" Rodgers, winner of 4 Boston Marathons and 4 NYC Marathon and a list of other major accomplishments too long to list. Standing there reading the words on the plaque, I could not believe that I would be running along side him through the streets of Boston. The few miles the group ran was great on a perfect night for late January in Boston. It was a nice casual pace navigating the busy streets of the city floating through the crowd meeting the other runners. After the run we headed back to Bill's store where we had pizza and drinks and got to know the other runners and Bill a little better. A great night and an unbelievable experience hosted by a true hero. Thanks so much to Susan for doing such an incredible job coordinating all of the teams this year. Next stop, Derry NH for what promises to be a very challenging 16 mile Boston Prep run through a very hilly course in rural New Hampshire - perfect preparation for the Newton Hills in Boston...

Updates to follow...



No comments:

Post a Comment